Corinda Bowls Club Aerial View Historical (Click the photo for printable pdf of historical photos)
Early Photos of Construction (Building and Greens)
View Over Oxley Creek from the club
Club Building before the Extension
Corinda Bowls Club goes to Tif Dwarf Grass
Stan Pink confers with the council foreman while Stan Taylor, Alf Wood, Jack Gregory, Cyril Heading, and Jim Pitceathly prepare for action.
27th September 1979
Alf Wood with barrow helps to remove the last of the turf.
Bar Attendant Merryl Christensen helps to fill the barrows watched by Frank Clark, Alf Wood, Arthur Taylor, Avis Heading and Stan Pink.
Wednesday 31st Oct, 1979
At five o`clock in the morning stolons of Tif Dwarf grass are planted on the surface, under the supervision of Hughie Wyper (right) of the Palm Beach - Currumbin Bowls Club
Friday 16th Nov, 1979.
The green sixteen days after planting, shows the grass well established, and the surface evenly covered.
Tuesday 18th Dec, 1979.
Seven weeks after planting the new green is completely covered with Tif Dwarf grass.
A Brief Overview of Corinda Bowls Club Inc from 1944 to Present
The original meeting to form the Corinda Bowls Club was held on 20th July 1944 with 63 foundation members.
The Club opened for play August 1946, the Ladies Club was established February 1947 and the Corinda Bowls Club officially opened June 1947.
The flagpole was donated by the Cox family as a memorial to the men and women who gave their lives in World War II.
Annual subscription in 1947 was 4 guineas ($4.4s.0d.- $8.40) and green fees in 1954 were 2s.6d. (25 cents).
A second green was opened for play in November 1948. The greens were originally planted with couch grass and were replanted with tif dwarf in 1979.
A new clubhouse was opened in 1956 and in 1970 the dining room extension was built.
Since the 1970's there have been a number of additions and improvements carried out.
Erection of floodlighting over No 2 Green for night bowls in 2001 and replacement of the ditches around No. 1 Green
In 2005, a retractable shade was erected covering all 7 rinks on No. 1 Green.
Other improvements include rebuilding the rear loading landing in 2008; installation of new scoreboards in 2008; and installation of water tanks with an overall capacity of over 115,000 litres principally for watering the greens.
Also in 2008: building extension works adjacent to the function room incorporated men's, ladies and handicap toilet facilities and an additional office area. This office area was called the Chelmer Room in recognition of the contribution made to Corinda by the former members of the Chelmer Bowls Club, and it houses mementos to the Chelmer Club and displays their Honour Boards.
In 2011, major works were the provision of a new roof and the complete external painting of the building.
In 2012, Corinda's existing Honour Boards were replaced with modern computer generated listings of all past champions and office bearers, bringing a crisp, clean look to the dining room area.
Ongoing maintenance has kept the grounds and building looking fresh, and in 2013 with the help of a grant from Jupiter's Casino, a major outdoor facelift provided new concrete paths, new roofs on the shade sheds, new aluminium seating around the greens, a landscaped gazebo area with tables and seating, and a barbecue.
Dedication of Chelmer Room and Facilities (24/02/09) Article reproduced from original posting in 2009
On Sunday 22/02/09 members of both the Mens and Womens Clubs gathered in the Function Room for the dedication of the recently completed Club building extensions.
State Member Julie Attwood was present to officially open and dedicate the room and additional mens, womens and handicap toilet facilities.
Secretary and Senior Vice President Geoff Jensen officiated on behalf of the members in the absence of Club President Alan Donaldson. Immediate past President Bob Healy spoke on behalf of the Mens Club and President Lillian Keating spoke on the Ladies Club behalf.
Percy Reisenletter, a former member and President on a number of occasions of the Chelmer Bowls Club, responded on behalf of the Chelmer members and outlined the proud history of that Club.
The gathering had a two fold purpose - namely to thank and honour Julie Attwood MP for her assistance and support in respect of the State Government Grant application without which the project could not have been undertaken.
The second purpose was to honour those 12 ladies and fourteen men who joined our Club in mid 2003 when the former Chelmer Bowls Club went into liquidation.
These 26 men and women have contributed greatly to the success of our two clubs and have featured prominently in both Clubs committees (in one case as President) and also in their successes on the Green in inter club, local District and competitions beyond these boundaries. One former Chelmer member has been men's singles club champion as well as wins in the various team competitions.